Welcome to my blog

Here I will discuss my homemade baby food and who knows what else!

Saturday, August 7, 2010

Sam is moving into regular foods. As I had talked aobut in the previous posts, Sam is really acting bored with the pureed food. This morning I toasted 1 slice of whole wheat bread (we use Nature's Own) and removed the crust. Hard boiled 2 eggs and removed the yolks (I fed the white's to the dogs). You need to start out using only egg yolk and leave out the white because it is more allergenic than the yolk. I mashed the yolk and spread it over the toast. It was very crumbly so i just mashed the toast with my fingers and smushed the egg yolk into the toast. Then I tore it into little bites and just laid it on his tray table. He LOVED it! He was shoveling it in with both fists. We also had diced banana and some water in a sippy cup. I am not using any baby juice yet. I want him to learn to love the taste of plain water. I am not a big juice drinker myself because I really don't see the need. If you eat the actual fruit it is much more nutritious. The only juices we buy are pomegranate or acai. Occasionally we buy some martenelli's apple juice as a treat or maybe the V8 fusion juices, but it is not something regularly purchased.

This week we have begun to wean the milk and make sure he is getting more nutrition from the foods he eats. He had been getting 4-5 6 oz bottles each day (usually around 28 oz total). Over the past few days I have been giving around 18-20 oz and sending extra snacks to school with him.

One hurdle we have had lately is the food he gets at daycare. They provide the food for all the kids there but I always send Sam his own lunch and breakfast and snacks. I guess I know I am picky about certain things and other people are not, so I want to make sure he is getting the best possible nutrition. This is the time when you are building their palettes and teaching variety. Here is the problem, in the afternoon they are giving them graham crackers. Not a bad snack, but, I just don't like him having sweet snacks all of the time. It is hard to bring it up at daycare because I don't want to be one of THOSE parents. I try sending extra snacks from home and on his report card I saw, cookies, yesterday. Ugh, I guess I am going to have to say something because I really don't want him having cookies and things like that until he has learned that real, whole, unsweetened foods are good first. I do not want to be the food police by any means, but I am trying to get him to love certain things before he realizes there is junk out there that tastes awesome. Any thoughts on this?

No comments:

Post a Comment