Welcome to my blog

Here I will discuss my homemade baby food and who knows what else!

Sunday, July 11, 2010


Ok, so to get started you have to obtain a few supplies. You need a food processor or blender. I purchased (and fell in love with) the beaba cook babyfood maker. It is a 4 in 1 appliance that will cook, warm, defrost, and puree your food. If you are busy like me it is so great to use this to multitask. No extra dishes or pots and pans to wash! It is a little pricey, $150 from williams and sonoma, but totally worth it. I actually saved up W&S gift cards and that is how I purchased mine. I also got a baby food cookbook from W&S to get a few ideas of how to start out. Then I headed to Kroger for some supplies. W&S sells containers to freeze your finished product in, but they cost $20 dollars, which I thought was a bit pricey and now that I have actually been using just a regular ice tray and/or reusing glass baby food jars, I prefer this method.
The good thing about using the ice cube trays is that you can mix/match different foods when you choose to defrost them for your baby's meal. For instance, I may choose a cube of frozen asparagus and a cube of frozen carrots and defrost them together. But the next night I may have carrots mixed with quinoa, so it helps me to have variety. I very rarely use the microwave to defrost/cook any of my child's foods. I normally use the baby food cooker for everything. It takes a little longer though, about 15 mins, but it is done by steam and just seems healthier to me. I take this time to play with my baby and have some floor time, or he will sit in his jumperoo in the kitchen and watch me cook dinner for me and my husband. So if you are considering making your own food, I would think about the baby food cooker. If it is too pricey, a food processor will work just fine :) Happy cooking!

1 comment:

  1. LOVE that you started a new blog! This is a great idea, I am going to pass it along to my friends with babies and babies on the way!

    ReplyDelete