Welcome to my blog

Here I will discuss my homemade baby food and who knows what else!

Friday, July 30, 2010

Well a definite advantage of living in Georgia is easy access to THE BEST peaches ever. My husband went and picked peaches for me the other day, only $13 for 1/2 a bushel, can't beat that! So far this summer I have made peach preserves (Sam will enjoy these when he is a little older), 3 peach cobblers, frozen peaches for baby food, frozen peaches for me and the hubs. I still have roughly 30-40 more peaches to cut up and freeze. Even though I think the peaches are the sweetest I have ever had Sam thinks they are a little sour (i think?). Usually I have to mix them with another fruit.
I am definitely guilty of buying some premade fruit babyfood. I make a lot like blueberries, cherries, bananas, peaches and organic apples (when I can find them). The blueberries, cherries, and peaches really need to be mixed with another fruit because they are sort of potent. Lets face it, it is impossible to try and do raspberries or blackberries, I am not going to remove all of those seeds. There is too much waste! I normally buy anything that I know I cannot make without a lot of waste. It is nice to have some jars of food on hand for the mixing. Since babyfood is only good for up to 3 months after it is frozen, that makes it difficult to harvest certain items (like peaches) and freeze them, they will have to be eaten by November. So, basically November-June we won't have access to any really good peaches. But we will have access to some really fabulous apples and citrus throughout those months to make up for it!

So, do the best you can with what you can make for your baby. Just remember, if you make it at home you know how fresh it is and you know exactly what is in it. Once you start making your food you will see how much water is in many of the prepared items and that is discouraging to me. I want him to have food, not a watered down version that came from who knows where. Also, I follow the http://static.foodnews.org/pdf/EWG-shoppers-guide.pdf you will find this helpful too when it comes time to decide what you should buy organic, and what may not matter as much.

Having a baby is hard work, especially if you are also a working mother. I wanted to make every single thing that he ate from scratch, but that is not feasible. I learned early on that you just can't beat yourself up over some things. You can't be perfect (no matter how hard you try). I breastfed, used cloth diapers (the old school tri-fold diapers), only organic body lotions and soaps, I restricted all of my products to be paraben free, etc etc etc. The list never ends, but I think if you are doing anything to go above the norm you are doing something good for your child. So, I make as much of the food as I have time for and keep a good supply of baby food at the house for those just in case, OMG, I turned my alarm off and woke up 45 mins late mornings.

No comments:

Post a Comment